Saturday, September 17, 2022

In search of Heathcliff

 Dear Marmite


I know it has been a time since I last wrote. Last weekend we had a Community Orchard Day where little children and my daughter, Danielle could make bug hotels and clay animals. I made 24 crumbles to sell and we did a roaring trade in preserves too. These were all from orchard produce. The weather was perfect, the atmosphere as always in the orchard is so nice so I knew I would enjoy it. I wasn't disappointed. On top of that we raised money to keep the place ticking over.



This week I went up to Howarth in Yorkshire to meet up with an old friend you once knew and to walk the moors. Even with warm sunshine the moors are bleak and when you are on top of them, you really can see the world. For me, it was my first time in this part of the world and I fell in love with it.







I also very nearly fell in love with a dog too. His name is Rollo - a young Alsation with impeccable manners. We got there on Monday and to be honest Haworth was closed. The Pub where we stayed was almost the only eating place open on that Monday night and everybody we were in the pub with was on the circular path to see the Wuthering Heights house way up on top of the moor - a 7+ mile round trip. So it wasn't difficult to spot Rollo and his family - big wide open space - not many people - easy!

Things livened up for us when we got back to town from our walk. Outside a brewery-cum- distillery pub was a man sitting in the sunshine holding a pint. He said it tasted good and he certainly looked as if he was enjoying it so we too had a pint. We then tried their speciality gins - nuff said. As it was Tuesday they weren't serving food and everywhere in the Main Street was also closed when we had finally finished (It was Haworth after all) so the only possible answer was to pop into another pub for another gin! Long walk plus mini pub crawl equals great day!

Now I am back home. I have caught up with my swimming. You and I Marms are close to the finish line - 40 lengths only. The next challenge is the Channel - 22 miles in 12 weeks. If you think we are up to it, I'll put your picture on the chart and we can do that one together as well.

Today I am off to do some tidying up in the church graveyard of my little village. A little bit of give back to the lovely place where I live. The sun is shining. The birds are singing - the bloody geese are making a racket - they always do.. almost idyllic.

Love you


XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment