Sunday, February 6, 2022

A Rollercoaster Ride of Covid Cancellations

 Dear Marmite

First of all, it was so nice to see you making the most of the CNY holiday with all our old friends. From a distance, your Reunion celebrations seem covid unhindered. I have to say I felt really "homesick" for all that I miss in Singapore and I have just passed my two-year anniversary of returning home here to the UK. Despite this passing of time, I still feel strangely attached to a place that was my home for 24 years. Especially, seeing all the pictures of you and your friends, I wanted to give you a great big hug.

Covid has slipped off the front pages over here. Big Bad Boris makes far too much interesting reading to make space for a few hundred daily deaths. I know that schools are really struggling, people are  now weary of the pandemic, and, around my neck of the woods people are no longer wearing masks. However,  I still do when I go into shops. For all intents and purposes Covid is behind us here even though it is still keeping the death toll high and it is a disrupter. Health Minister Saj has even done a U-turn on compulsory vaccinations for health workers.

Because of Covid, my social life took a bit of a battering this weekend as people I planned to meet up with have tested positive. I still have a tennis match and a quiz to look forward to today and in future weeks I'll get to meet up with those who are isolating  - may they recover quickly!

The plumber came round this week to sort out my combi-boiler. I had been living in a house without heating or hot water for five days. I showered in water 6c before I realised there was no hot water! That was refreshing! Other than that, I did OK as the weather was unseasonally mild and I also spent a lot of time out of the house as usual.

The plumber - a nice man - and not the least bit patronising showed me how to twiddle a couple of valves to refill the boiler and get it going again. He also went round the house and banged his screwdriver on the pin inside the thermostats. Hey presto!!! the house heated up like never before. I know plumbers are expensive but this one actually gave me a self help lesson so he was worth it!!


Last Thursday I was in charge of Ezra-Mae so I decided we would go swimming. I couldn't believe the paraphernalia that seems necessary for a quick dip plus all the warm clothes needed for the cold weather outside. If I needed to do that with my own children I am sure they wouldn't have been such good swimmers. Living in a warm country with our own pool made it so easy. I'd get them changed, throw a towel over my shoulder and leave the house for the pool. 

However, it was all worth it. I put Ezra=Mae on the floor as I sorted out the bags and she made a break for the water's edge. She loved it. She doesn't mind splashes, she loves getting wet, and she is so relaxed. Being on the small side, I think people think she is younger than she really is too. The life guard who knew me was impressed and true to form my little grand daughter made eyes at him. Despite the amount of STUFF I need to lug around, I can't wait for our next dip.

So Marms, apart from this recent highlight in my life: I mostly drink far too much coffee, swim, play tennis, get out on my bike and poke around my garden. That is it... the extent of my happy life.



Missing you as always. May the Year of the Tiger bring you great blessings.

Love

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment