Sunday, January 30, 2022

Gong Xi Fa Cai

 Dear Marmite

It is upon us. The Year of the Tiger is just around the corner. Gong Xi Fa Cai  -  my lovely old man. May you have all the blessings of the New Year Celebrations and none of the nervous twitches brought on by the Lion Dancers and their noise.

Over here people don't even know this celebration is happening. Danielle and I went to an Oriental Shop to stock up on things for New Year. This place is tucked round the back of an industrial estate, not far from where we live. We wanted to make a proper CNY so our plan was to buy New Year goodies. There weren't many - just a few decorations all marked up at exhorbitant prices. Stunned by the prices, I bought some noodles for £4.60!! That is some price hike.

I am pleased that the philosophies of Vimes have become a UK measure economic hardship. I have had an enduring love affair with Terry Pratchett and he deserves the limelight. Prices go up every week. Shops are still short of stuff - different stuff - one time it is frozen veg another time coffee. Cardboard boots are also thin on the ground! Daily life is tough and we are in a mess while Spineless, Boneless Boris is spending all his energy saving his neck - and to what end? I despair.

My village had a short power cut last Thursday at 5:30pm. Nothing remarkable really. I had to reset the internet, link my devices again and check the mains switch. Everything seemed normal so I continued to cook a meal for my quiz friends before we set out for the local pub where they have a monthly quiz. This brings me to a joke I saw on Instagram. To get to my local pub it is just 5 minutes walk. On the way back it takes 45 minutes. The difference is staggering!! Ha ha...

I digress. I got home well within the 45 minutes and went to bed. I didn't realise the house was getting colder. I got up early and had a shower. The water didn't get warm. In fact, I checked the boiler and the temperature of the water was  just 6c. Eeeek - it was refreshing! Even this didn't ring any alarm bells. 

I went off to play tennis and eventually got back rather late in the afternoon. The house was really getting a bit chillier still. By Saturday morning I realised that the heating was not working. My neighbour confirmed my suspiscions - there was no water being pumped into the system. This week I am after a plumber / heating engineer. I bet that will cost!




So meanwhile, I am wrapping up warm and feeling a bit sorry for myself. Not too worry though Margy came round to share my miseries and we did a murder mystery at the local pub. We were a table of neighbours and I feel that Margy, reincarnated as Essex girl stole the show. It was revealed that I was the murderer. I didn't think I had it in me. It was a lovely evening and I was more than warm in the cosy village pub.

Today I am off to the nether regions of Buckinghamshire to play a tennis match. Another opportunity too try and warm up! I really need a big hug from you, Marms - that was the advice an energy provider shared with its customers. It said, "Cuddle your pet to keep warm"... not so silly I reckon.

Love you


XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment