Thursday, October 27, 2022

Happy Deepavali - a little late

 Dear Marmite

I really hope you and Rita had a lovely time celebrating. I know how much you love having friends around you. Over here people are allowed to set off their own fireworks and at times it feels almost like being under siege. The noise is never ending and it sounds like gunfire. Definitely not nice for dogs.


I was staying in London over that weekend and I met up with Vandana for a chat and pub meal. It couldn't have been more unlike Singapore. The weather was wet, it was quite a bit colder and the pub was relatively empty. Despite this sounding like a time of misery, we had a lovely time and as always it is lovely to catch up. 

As you probably know, our weather isn't normal over here. This autumn has been so warm I have seen people out in vests in late October. We have had thunderstorms and rain more reminiscent of tropical downpours too. It was in one such downpour that I was out walking. I got so wet, it went though my rain coat, my gilet and my shirt. The water wouldn't drain away and I had to wade ankle deep through a flood to boot. It took days to dry out my walking boots. I remember a similar 20km walk in Singapore down the Green Corridor. I believe Jeff still has nightmares from our jaunt.

Now I'm back home and it feels like I have never been away. I am back to swimming, going to the tennis club and quizzing. I am pleased to say our crucial wrong question in the last quiz wasn't my fault this time - fun quizzing; but this time no cigar.

I am also prepared to spend almost any amount of money to buy my first truly waterproof coat. I say, "almost" as I have looked online and in  the Cotswold shop and quality clothing is quite expensive  - I am adjusting my wants to suit a more limited budget and will continue looking.

Meanwhile, our glorious democracy continues to take a battering and our economy remains in freefall.  We are on the third different PM since my return. Haven't got enough fingers to count the different chancellors and Foreign ministers. I am not even sure it is a saving grace that fallen politicians don't languish in jail over here. My good memory is a big drawback when I shop and notice how much the price of everyday things changes every shop. When I got back here, filling up my tank cost £35 now it is £55. At one point it was nearly £70. 

Today was expecting a handyman. Today at 6am I got a message to say it would have to be next week. I have been waiting since August for this to happen... I'm irked and grumpy, to say the least.... errrrr. 

Missing you as always,

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment