Sunday, August 9, 2020

Happy National Day, Singapore

 Dear Marmite,

It is about 9:30am here but I expect in Singapore the 55th birthday celebrations for Singapore are in full swing. I know it won't be quite like previous years but as with all things, Singapore has adjisted well to the new normal and parades are destined for the heartlands. There could be one near you.

Over here it is another normal Sunday with the exception that Sammi will be here later. The room is ready and for the next few days, I will be vegan too! Nasser has his family with him. His brother has organised a "holiday" let around the corner from me. That house is vacant as it is in the process of being sold. For the time being, this is the party venue in the neighbourhood. The evenings are barmy so I pop round for coffee and sheesha ( my Sheesha!). The times they are a-changing!

Food parcel delivery for SOFEA has now ended so I am now doing King's food parcels on Thursdays. The round is the same as the Tuesday round so I see the same faces. The system is very different. Each person gets three very heavy plastic bags of processed food in cans and packets. These are packed into a crate. My car only takes 10 crates but the round is for 25 crates. That is a lot of very heavy bags and three trips.

I don't baulk at many things but I really felt the mountain of a task was too much. I took the first car load and delivered the first bags to a man who was just out of prison and he is in a house with no furniture at all.  I knew him from the previous rounds so I asked if he could help. He hopped in the car. I gave him a killer mask and off we went. He was lovely. I couldn't have done it without him and he said he had enjoyed himself too. I am sure he doesn't really appreciate just how many people he helped that morning - especially me.

Nasser gets his food from King's. We normally cycle round and load the bike basket and rucksacks up. Then we wobble home. Last week he went without me to pick up the stuff. They gave him some fresh produce donated from the allotments for me. Apparently not many people appreciate really fresh stuff and I don't like to see it go to waste. So I am a recipient of food help in my dotage!

I also went back to help at the Community Orchard on Tuesday. The trees are heavily laden with fruit. Damsons, Victorias, Bramleys, Cox's and cherries. What I need is a ladder and a walking stick. By September they will be past their best they so need picking. Needless to say. I picked a few reachable ones and stewed them with ginger and rhubarb. Richard offered to turn it into a cobbler. I then picked some blackberries from the lane just by the house and in a blink of an eye we had a dessert beyond imagination. I am off to get some more blackberries this morning for dessert mark ll.

On the subject of feeding and being fed. I have discovered the little blighters that have eaten my brocolli. I don't like caterpillars but they turn into butterflies so I won't kill them despite their avid feeding. They can't be hungry catepillars considering how much damage they have done. eeerrrrrgh.

Another hot day awaits thanks to corporate greed causing our climate crisis. When the suns shines gloriously in Britain we forget that this is because our world is dying because we don't love it enough to care for it. It should not be a cause for celebration that we have had the hottest day on record this week. We should mourn.

Love you, you old dog! 


Love 


XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment