Monday, August 31, 2020

The Brains of Britain.

 Dear Marmite


I have resurrected Blind Bambi. That is the quiz team I was part of in Singapore. It even survived the Lockdown Trouble Brewing zoom quizzes from Singapore with me participating internationally. Sadly the quiz master at the local pub didn't understand that Bambi is a deer and it can't see so it is a NO EYE  DEER. The team over here is much diminished too. In fact, it was just Danielle and myself. 

We set off for the pub in Bletchley last Thursday. I was excited as I went there the week before, joined a team and we won. Anyway, with a heart full of hope, Danielle and I settled down to a drink before things got under way and chatted with a few others in the pub - its a nice atmosphere but apparently much quieter these days. 

Our main opposition were a group of lads in their 20s and 30s who had their table jam packed with beers. As their tongues were well oiled, they heckled the quiz master in a funny, nice sort of way all through the quiz. 

At the end of the quiz, we swap marking sheets before we are given the answers. There were six of them and for every question they got right they celebrated loud and proud. There was just the two of us and we beat them. We just celebrated at the end. YAY! 

They were surprised they had lost. They said that they had one of the team using google. For me, I am slightly ashamed I didn't believe Danielle knew the answer to a couple of questions - she didn't sound convincing. At least I have learnt the colours of the Ukraine flag from her so it was a very worthwhile evening and we got the cash prize to boot. I'll make a quizzer out of her yet.

One of the lads wanted my phone number for future quizzes and other benefits  - his words -  and they asked Danielle if the father was still around! They also complained that we had cheated because she was on lemonade and sober. I can't wait for the rematch. I even watched a couple of episodes of The Chase as a practice for forthcoming quizzes! 

I visited the Canal Museum at Stoke Bruene which is not far from where I live. The actual museum is closed but a volunteer stood outside the building by the canal to talk about a few of the items. I am particularly taken with the art work and how it possibly became so ubiquitous. The surrounding area is idyllic and well worth the trip.



I wasn't quite the brains of Britain the other day. I set off from home and about two hundred meters into my journey I was stopped for speeding. I thought it was a 40 mph area and it is a 30. I was doing 38. Whoopsie. Even my car dashboard says that part of the road is 40 but you can't argue with a man with a gun and a flourescent jacket. 


My trip to  the grave in LB and Dunstable Downs after the speeding incident.. I travelled very slowly!




I am going to be re-educated in the ways of the English Highways and By-ways. At least it won't be like some regimes where people got sent for months tilling the soil to make them better citizens. I have heard the course is not particularly interesting but it is better than losing points! 

I know you are oh so smart, Marms. You are not like me. 

I do miss you. 

Love

XXX








No comments:

Post a Comment