Thursday, March 11, 2021

The world is slowly opening up

 Dear Marmite

In the UK the government have taken the first steps to opening up our small existence. The schools are back after a fashion and the kids at the secondary school close by are back to being their old feral selves. face masks looped to each ear and stretched under the chin is de rigueur for all students who bother to wear one. Groups meet in no less than four either so this is truly a testing time as the daily death rate due to covid is under 200. 

to be honest, who can blame these poor souls who have been locked up for almost 10% of their lives  - I would probably be much the same in their boat. The sun has also taken to shining more often and the world is definitely warming up. This too has lifted my spirits. I kept my precious rhubarb under a bucket for the winter and now I have lifted said bucket, it has come out beautiful and pink. What a wonderful world!!!



The world was less wonderful the other day when Danielle, noisy Billie and me set out to sort out the family graves in Leighton Buzzard. The rain came at us at right angles and as you can see from the photo. I am leaning into the wind to keep my hood up. It is almost Spring, I told myself. 



As you know, I have become part of a group - Refugees Welcome, Wolverton. The plan is to raise £9000 and help resettle a Syrian refugee family in the locality. We have a big fund raiser coming up online.  It is a quiz of the pub variety adapted for Zoom and the launch of an art auction. I know you will probably be asleep at 8pm GMT on 31st, March when the quiz goes live, Marms. I just hope you will be cheering us on in your dreams. If anyone else wants to be part of this, entry is £10 per team and all are welcome. Making it international will not be a barrier. 

I popped to see Rachel in Chippenham last week. Claude says "hi" or woof. Rachel who is now well settled in the UK is rationalising stuff from three different homes so she has generously donated some furniture to help us set up the refugee home. It was lovely meeting up at a distance and the only downer on the day was a two-hour jam on the A34 on the way back. A lorry had been silly and parked itself at an angle across one lane so it felt like the whole world had come to a standstill because of it. What is remarkable is that there is so much traffic around during lockdown. 

I am also house hunting. This is for my forever home and I can't make a decision. I have looked at places that need heavy duty sorting and places that I could move into and tweak. I have a long check list of things I want - non-estate, on a quiet road or cul-de-sac, full of character, enough space to entertain, a kitchen large enough to swing a cat or even a cooked bird, and bedrooms that you can walk into and not step straight onto the bed. I want all this and not too far from where I am now. I loved Dairy Farm. You could watch doggie TV and we had space. If only I could replicate that here but perhaps without jungle or the swimming pool.

Since starting to write this the sun has now disappeared and there is a squall with heavy rain once again. I retract joy of seeing the sun. I will dream of the sunnier times I had with you. 

As always, I love you and miss you.


XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment