Friday, August 13, 2021

The Glorious Twelfth!

 Dear Marmite


I had been looking forward to this day for some time. Not only did I have a good friend celebrating her birthday as a true Grouse, I had a sofa delivery and a night out too. I had built this day up to be THE day - a something special day in a calendar of banality.


The sofa delivery happened - sort off. The men with the van that carried my much wanted dark teal, M&S sofa turned up and said that they couldn't get it up my stairs. They dumped the sofa in the garden and left. The sofa weighs 95kg so obviously I couldn't do much with it without help. I ended up dragging it into the hallway to protect it from the rain that started to pour in bucket loads in the afternoon and while I was off on my night out, Nasser magically moved it up to the living area. 


It is now in pride of place and I have to say I am really pleased with it. However, I am not pleased with M&S. The first delivery didn't happen. That was a fiasco. This delivery was more of a dumping than a delivery really; so on a scale of one to ten, I'd give M&S about two. 

I now have most things I need for the house. I'll obviously need to splodge a bit of paint around. In fact, I have already started. I will set out a plan and steadily work my way round the place. The balcony is mostly done and yesterday, before the downpour, I did the post box on the wall outside my garden. This is the first tick on my check list.

Last weekend I moved some plants in the front garden. This area used to be the forecourt of a paint factory and is still concrete two inches below the surface. So to move the plants I wielded a pick axe just so I could get under the roots. Passers-by from the pub commented on the energy and vigour with which I repeatedly flung the axe at the ground. I was sweating and feeling at one with the soil. Unfortunately, my back still feels like the pick axe pounded that rather than the earth. Marms - old age is definitely creeping up on me. Thank God I can now relax on a super comfy sofa!

The John Otway gig in Leighton Buzzard was brilliant. It was my first indoor thing I'd been to since coming back to the UK. The venue - The Crooked Crow Bar - was also not overcrowded - limited ticket sales. The minimal hordes loudly heckled their way through the performance. The banter was almost as clever as the act. I can't wait for my next night out. I loved it.


My social life has taken an upward turn in other ways this week. Binny and Ana came to visit. We did a pub lunch and walk. Danielle brought Ezra-Mae along for entertainment too. It was really nice to catch up. It has made me realise how much I have missed out on with the lockdowns. 


So Marms, life isn't so bad and if you were here I am sure you'd find a spot somewhere near my feet and expect to have the spot behind your ears tickled. I am sure you demand this attention still. 

Hugs all round.

Love you.

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment