Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Another Year Slipping Away

 Dear Marmite,


It is all downhill to your 15th birthday in December. We are already in September and I struggle to remember where this year has gone. What is worse is that special days like Bank Holidays also slip by almost unnoticed too. 

We had a Bank Holiday last Monday and over here in the UK it signals the end of summer. The passing of our non-summer into slightly chillier weather actually needed nothing to tell us that Autumn is on the way. Today it is overcast and nippy. 

One thing that I really do appreciate is the opportuntiy to pick wild fruit from the hedgerow. I told Danielle I wanted a walking stick. She asked me whether it was for my bad back. Actually I would love an old walking stick to pull the higher branches of blackberries within my reach. It is true that the sweetest fruit is just beyond arm's length. Along the tow path are loads of blackberries. I am using the last harvest of them to make blackberry and apple crumbles for a harvest event at the Community Orchard. 

I picked apples from the trees in the orchard two weeks ago and nearly got knocked out by falling apples landing on my head. This week I picked Victoria and Czar plums which I figured would do less damage should they fall on my head. These plums have also been stewed ready for crumble making.

Danielle is raising money for British birds. She will be walking 50 miles this month in the hopes that she will get sponsored for her efforts. This means that Shadow will also be walking 50 miles too. Imagine that, Marms, your old companion - Shadow -  will be also walking 50 miles alongside Danielle and Ezra-Mae. I expect the very thought makes you go weak at the knees. 

On the COVID front, no one seems to bother any more. mask wearing is minimal, all activities look as if they are running normally and the swimming pool is crowded with families enjoying the last few days of their school holidays. It is a paradox that cases are rising and certain factions are really concerned that once school starts the numbers will go through the roof. Can we stomach another lockdown? I doubt it. We are too used to getting around a visiting like the old days.

This week an old friend from my days in Stevenage stopped over. It was lovely. Just like old times. We drank vino, did some girlie shopping and chilled. Next week I am expecting a friend from Singapore who has just got back to the UK. So many people have been relocating recently. I reckon we could do a great big reunion of Singapore friends in the UK. 

If only you could be around to be part of it. 

I miss you! Hugs and kisses

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment