Sunday, April 24, 2022

A fellow treehugger

 Dear Marmite


Who would credit it? Ezra-Mae is showing her true colours very early. She is a treehugger! So by nature, she is very much in the Woolhead tradition. On that same afternoon while I was looking after her, she also proved herself to be a beer swigger, an escapologist, a burger thief and a charmer! I wonder where those traits come from?  She was all over the place. 


I was multi-tasking while looking after my grand-daughter. I was the MC for the afternoon - if only to annoy the neighbours with my very loud, hockey-pitch voice! I remembered to turn the mic off each time I talked to Ezra-Mae or swore so I consider myself a success in the role for those reasons only.

All this happened on last Saturday, April 23rd - St. George's Day - the Community Orchard in Wolverton held an open event to celebrate the renovation of a railway carriage that is now 150 years old. As there really is a dragon in the Orchard, the day seemed quite auspicious.


That little haven in a dedicated railway town really does know how to put on a party - Teas and cakes were served from the carriage itself while a collection of kippered men did a roaring trade on the burgers. A Scottish country dance troop and a local band entertained. There was even a stall for children to make dragon sock puppets fierce enough to frighten any saint! I tried to imagine a warm, sunny balm but in reality it was a bit on the chilly side for April. It didn't stop the crowds, luckily. That is England for you. 

I have started my swim Marms! Yes, I have done 372 lengths already and that took one week. Today I am off again for another splosh. The final total is just under 4000 lengths so a little way to go yet. You will be pleased to know that your picture is on the wall to show where we have got to. I imagine you by my side all the way.

I have also been brave enough to inject green slime into my bike tyre. The thought of doing it was far worse that actually pumping the stuff in. I can thoroughly recommend the stuff. After you fill the tyre with green slime you have to cycle for 30 minute to distribute it in the tyre and so fill the hole. I live in a very small village I didn't want to go far from base in case it didn't work so I cycled up and down the same place far too many times. I kept seeing the same people and felt the need to explain myself. I am not sure why I should feel embarrassed going to and fro but to me it didn't seem normal. Perhaps I am not!

And so another week begins and there are lots of things to look forward to - a tennis match, a couple of jaunts, meeting friends. What is there not to like about retirement!

As always, I love you Marms

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment