Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Remember, Remember

 Dear Marmite


It is breakfast time here and I am having an extremely large cup of coffee and eating Marmite on homemade bread - good old warming winter stodge. In fact, the weather here is still very warm which I feel a little disapppointed with as I have bought a REALLY, REALLY warm waterproof winter coat and I so want to try it out in harsh conditions. I know I'll look like a mustard coloured Michellin man but at least I will be warm.

As you know, Britain is rapidly turning into the third world country. We have been told to expect blackouts in January because of fuel shortages and I have the thermostat 1c lower than I did last year as fuel bills have gone through the roof. Fortunately for me, the house is fairly warm despite this and I have a bed cover over my duvet so my bed is a perfect retreat.

Day to day I have been busy. I am nearly done with the Channel swim challenge at the local pool. If I really was swimming the Channel, I would be in sight of French soil already. When it was lockdown, I calculated I swam this distance every month but now there is so much else to do, I have taken to popping to the pool most weeks at least twice a week. I also have been swimming with Ezra-Mae. She is a little fish and loves the water. 

I mentioned that my bed is a perfect retreat. I had Ezra-Mae over for her first sleepover last Sunday. We shared the bed. I thought it was rather unfair that someone her size should occupy the Lion's share. I went down to check on her and even Shadow had plonked himself squarely in the middle of MY bed - BAD SHAD! For one night only I clung to the very edge of the bed and slept not one jot. There will be words before we do it again and next time, I'll put the boot in with Shadow - cheeky mutt.

From my garden


The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is well and truly done. It is officially winter. In the old days we made a big thing of Bonfire Night. It was a much bigger thing than Halloween back then. From my reading, I discovered that it was actually an Act of Parliament that made it an official celebration for saving James l from being blown up by a group of Catholics. So, clearly this was not a PC event by any stretch of the imagination. I remember making a "Guy" to burn on the bonfire and we would have our own fireworks, as would everyone else back then. I decided to have my own little Bonfire party this year - just food and games - no big bangs because Shadow was there. 

It is always lovely to have people around. The downside is that I am still eating leftovers. I ring the changes with different veg from the freezer but my meals are very similar. This is another downside of living alone. 

I am off to the Orchard soon so I'll say bye bye. Hugs all round.

Miss you.

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment