Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Reasons to be Cheerful

 Dear Marmite

Despite everything, there are reasons to be cheerful. This is something I have to remind myself when I am coughing and spluttering through the night with a heavy cold and my seventh coldsore since the beginning of February. I gave into myself at the weekend and lay on the sofa most of the day... Oh poor me! 

I told Nasser I was feeling a bit under the weather so I wouldn't be going to tennis. He thought this was strange as the sun was shining and it seemed like a good tennis day. It wa just another of those really confusing idioms that roll of the tongue with no effort at all. Being a bit rough, I managed to finish the blanket made from bits of wool that Danielle gave me. It is for Ezra-Mae's dolls. I can't wait to see her face. It is made up of flowers - very dolly-like.


Along the way, I have been doing the odd bit of dog sitting for Shadow and Lucky, and baby sitting for E-M. Yesterday, while still feeling yuck, I cycled to meet her in Stony Stratford where there is a playgroup. I needed to cycle - I hadn't done anything all weekend. The first disaster was a flat tyre... £18 to get it fixed. I didn't have a choice. I had EM to look after and I needed a bike to get back too.  

I never did playgroups with my three as I wasn't in the country so it was a pleasant surprise at how well organised and happy the whole thing is. Richard and Danielle popped off and I was left in charge. At the end I set off for the bike shop with E-M, two bags, and a present that one of the other Mums had given to her. For part of the walk, we carried the dolly bassinet together. However, by the time I had paid for the bike, put both bags in the basket and sat E-M on the saddle I had lost the toy... argh.. 

That wasn't the worst of it. Somehow I also lost E-M's water bottle and a dummy along the way. Then when I was posting a letter, she head butted the postbox and cried. So not only did I feel like rubbish, I was also pretty useless. At least today is another day - Sammi is on his way down so no more disasters, Marms... I couldn't possibly top yesterday.

I have bought a Brown Turkey Fig tree to commemorate Hope's short life. It is at the Community Orchard. Eventually it will have its own sign too. I am currently on a project to make wooden signs for all the trees. You wouldn't believe how long it is taking. The layers of varnish alone take at least a week. I have to say they look good. It is a real team effort. All I do is write the name, burn it into the wood and varnish it. Someone else is making the posts and sticking them next to the correct tree. 




Tomorrow is the funeral - a gathering of clans, and a time to say Goodbye. Danielle and Richard have been so solid sorting this out. It has been an unbelievably tough time for them. People say it is only at weddings and funerals that people get together - This seems to be true. At least Daniele and Richard know they are surrounded by love across the world, especially at this time. 

Now my big reason to be cheerful is that I am going travelling. First of all Spain and Portugal and then Singapore. The only problem is that I need to line my ducks up before I can finalise my dates for my long trek East.. I can't wait to see you, Marms. I never thought it would be possible when COVID hit.

My reasons to be cheerful aren't quite like Ian Drury's but nonetheless I am convinced that metaphorically the sun will come out tomorrow. There is always something positive to look forward to - even if it is anther dodgy-cum-dangerous babysit!

I really do love you. Hugs all round

Love

XXX


PS. One reason not to be cheerful- my quiz team now have a handicap at my local. Tut tut. This is because we won again. We have a dodgy reputation even though we don't cheat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment