Monday, April 17, 2023

9.12.2006 - 17.04.2023

 Dear Marmite in Heaven


There can be no other place for you. I knew at the the weekend when we spoke online that you were not long for this world. You were as always the grand old gentleman and now you are free of those aches and pains of old age.

I remember the day that we chose each other and you came home to our place. It was August 2007 and you had spent such a long time in a crate at the SPCA that your back legs were underdeveloped. Back then, the SPCA called you Happy. It was Sammi that said you looked like Marmite on toast. That is how you got your name. I gave you my father's birthday. It was ballpark around the right time. of the year.

When you came to us, you weren't always totally well-behaved but you learnt quickly. I still laugh at your quirky habits like putting your legs under the rug and taking a cushion off the sofa for a pillow. You were never the most enthusiastic walker either. Your response to "walkies" was to raise the tan dot over your eye and shake your head as if to say, "You go, I'll still be here when you get back!" You were a creature who loved his comforts.

Despite this reluctance we managed some epic jungle walks as well as swimming in the sea. We also used to take you to the dog run where you watched the other dogs chase balls and each other. Again, this was not your cup of tea. You liked to watch me play tennis from the comfort of the bench. Lazing on a bench was much more your thing.

There were some very funny phobias we had to work around too -black dustbin liners, bicycles, Indian men for starters. Monkeys infuriated you and they knew it. Thunder storms meant that you tried to get into spaces where you really didn't fit. There was no way a rotty X could fit under the vanity unit in my bathroom! Initially you were scared of me sweeping up with a broom and later, I couldn't get you to move when I wanted to sweep where you lay.

You politely said hello to me every morning. You said hello to our visitors when they came to the door. "He-lloooooo" and nearly everyone said "hello" to you too. Back then, I thought there was a man trapped in your body. Jeremy called you a "not-dog". You  have always been more than a mere furry friend. You liked people so much more than other dogs.

I sent Shadow back to the UK on a big aeroplane but I couldn't put you in a crate for that 17 hour trip. I really believed the stress would kill you. Back then Rita became the love of your life. I know Rita treated you like a prince and probably you thought that you had already arrived in heaven. There were no long treks for starters and she certainly wouldn't have dragged you through a drain! I never stopped loving you but I know it was meant to be that you were to live across the island in a new home. 

Every week Rita sent me pictures of you and until now I have told you about all the things that have happened to me. Your letters have been read on 7 continents. You have touched so many lives too and there will always be a place for you in my heart. 

The advert for Marmite is - "love it or hate it". Big as you were, you attracted children who showed no fear. They loved to hug and stroke you. You are truly special

Goodbye, rest in peace.

I will always love you

XXXXX


1 comment:

  1. He was a real sweet soul. God bless him.

    ReplyDelete