Monday, April 3, 2023

Barcelona, Barcelona

 Dear Marmite



For the last couple of days I have had a tune going through my head and the words to that tune are the title of this letter. I am on holiday and oh how I deserve it! Over the previous week, life has been a little hectic. I had a flat tyre in a deluge last Sunday. I welcomed my Ukrainian guests; Nicolas and Nataliia on Tuesday. On Thursday my very old friend from the Bahamas came to stay and so did Mark from Singapore. You know both of them. I had a house full and two big meals to do. I still don't have a complete voice either.

Thursday night was a planned homegrown quiz night. Noisy toys from Ezra-Mae's box were our "fingers on the buzzer" and to be honest, it was quite funny - actually it bordered on the silly and I was hopeless at the film and music rounds. Friday night was Iftar. The Iftar was truly international and we played a pretty raucous game of spoons without too big an international incident after eating. I won!!!

So with the washing up done and the kitchen reasonably tidy, I left my guests at my home to look after themsleves and set off with a little help from Nasser to Gatwick very early on Saturday 1st April. I am not a fan of airports. I don't particularly like Gatwick and now I like it even less than I did before. I give minus 5 points to Vueling, my flight operator. The actual flight did not show up on the screen and after running to the wrong flight gate we nearly missed the flight we were booked on. I say we - we is Vandana and me. 


We are on a whistle-stop tour of some of the best bits of Spain and Portugal. We have an interrail which hasn't proved to be the easiest way to book trains as I had to wait til I was here in Spain to book them. Now we are almost sorted. We arrived in Granada - and not without incident - about three hours ago -  and now I am on a roof terrace writing this to you... It is getting a bit nippy. I can see the Sierra Nevada with snow caps from where I am sitting. This is a special monent.... al fresco dining, snow caps and delicio cheapo plonk to boot.




On the first leg of our journey to Madrid, we were stopped and everyone got off the train while a fire further up the line was brught under control. This might be a complete fabrication of what really happened as my Spanish is ropy and I am not sure whether I actually heard the word, "feugo". However, we were worryingly close to missing the connection which we understood was leaving from Via Diez almost as soon as we had disembarked in Madrid. 

Now we are in Granada. The weather is warmer The world looks good from where we are sitting. I always reckon the world really does look better through the bottom of a wine bottle wherever you are. You should try it, Marms. We have left my very good friend, Mary behind and I am quite sorry she couldn't be with us on the rest of the trip. She certainly made the Barcelona leg very memorable.. We miss you, Mary!



Love from Spain! Hasta proxima

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment