Monday, April 19, 2021

Silent and Deadly

 Dear Marmite


My now, not-so-new car, called Katy has proved herself a menace on the roads. I live on a small road to nowhere where people tend to walk up the middle. This is fine unless there is the occasional car needing to get past. The other afternoon the occasional car at that moment -  Katy, wanted to get to her garage spot and I actually want to get home before nightfall too. 

We were in no particular hurry but she wasn't prepared to edge forward at a pace no faster than a snail. In front of her was a man sauntering up the road obviously in no hurry to get anywhere at all. Patient as I am, I peeped; he jumped out of his skin and then I realised that he hadn't heard us before that moment.

My car is deadly silent. It creeps up on people and they don't hear a thing. I have come to realise this from how people react when then suddenly see a white CHR closer than they expected to see any car at all. I have often witnessed the odd thrill-seeker stepping off the curb into the path of dear Katy. They look aghast. Terrorised even. They get their dose of adrenaline from a humdrum activity. They should thank me for bringing a bit of excitment to their lives.

This death wish extends to people stepping in front of me when I am cycling on the roads too. Today on my little jaunt through the sunny Buckinghamshire countryside I needed to swerve to avoid an oblivious pedestrian. Perhaps I need to puff harder and grunt a little to make myself heard. One blessing is that I don't encounter as many people surgically attached to their screens when out and about like in Singapore - that was a hazard to be sure. Over here the bigger peril is potholes of which there are far too many. I often say, "OUCH" when I hit one. Everyone hears me then, I'm sure.



Not so much deadly but dopey is my energy provider, E-On. Not only have I overpaid my energy bills which they seem reluctant to sort, I also get really stupid communication from them. I rang a customer service operator up about my bill for which I have set up a direct debit and the generic answer service tells me I need to get a direct debit. When I eventually reached the customer service operator, she couldn't sort out my £400 overcharge or the misinformation on the webpage which I took a screenshot of. It says my bill is estimated and right below it says they take smart readings inferring that my bill can't be estimated. Errrrrrrr. 


Besides these frustrations, Mr Elusive, my solicitor seems to be MIA and I was hoping to move to my new house in two weeks. If I find do him, I won't hesitate to run him over. He might not even notice. 

At least I have found a quiet time at the pool and don't run too many people over lane swimming. I am doing over 2km four or five days a week. I am bad at keeping count and my watch say I have done more than I thought. It feels good after such a long break to be back in a routine. It was good to see you swimming, Marms... You lucky old dog.




Love you as always. 

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment