Friday, April 24, 2020

Fish and chips and sheesha

Dear Marmite

Ramadan Kareem! This greeting is especially to you, my noble friend. If you remember, there were times in our year when we celebrated special things and you might like to think of this as Christmas without the Turkey and trimmings. It certainly involves nice food and if you were with me now, you would get the crumbs metaphorically. I used to give you the specially prepared stock from the Turkey bones with rice and you lapped it up. Happy times!

These days I exist between worlds in my own little world. Because I live in England, I feel a duty to have fish and chips. The chippies are closed of course. I buy mine frozen and ready battered from Tesco. I can't do the wrapped-up-in-paper bit but I do have brown vinegar. It is not quite authenitic but it is English.

Entertainment at home includes sheesha. It has been warm enough to set it up on the patio in the early evening. That is not British but as I am probably the sum of all my travels and adventures it seems only just a tad strange here in Wolverton.

During the day I find time to roll around the floor to do my stretches and go for a bike ride or a walk. Yesterday we went 25 miles. That wasn't the intention when we started out but I sort of got carried away with the idea we should take in just one more village til we ended up in Mursley. Part of the road to Whaddon was closed so we took a detour along the A4221 and then through the southern part of Milton Keynes.

This is where things got really bad. Google really did get us lost. Then the stroppy woman directing us from my pocket got really angry that we didn't go round a roundabout that actually hadn't been built. We went round in other circles to find a road. We stayed on the road til we found a "redway" cycle track. All seemed well to me but Stroppy Woman in Pocket wasn't pleased. She punished us. Turn left then right. Take Dada Road - that wasn't there. These instructions were meant to confuse. There is no other explanation. She sent us up a bridleway - grass and dried mud with indented tractor tread - oh my poor bottom -  and finally we reached a place I recognised - The Crematorium. We were alive enough to know this.

When we got back, my contractors were outside having a break from fixing my bathroom. They sympathised with my friend who had  trailed along. Of the two of us, he is the real athlete and I am the old dear. Yet, they seemed to think that it was more normal for me to be doing this. They were brothers together against a woman.

We have also been delivering food parcels for SOFEA and registering people for meal deliveries and the food bank. I have seen how the other half live. I am thankful I have my health (dodgy leg withstanding) , and the resources to make choices. COVID-19 is widening the abyss between the haves and the havenots. Isee it firsthand. This crisis is an opportunity for the UK government to make lives better and to stop using sticking plasters. Mind you, knowing their level of competence, they probably haven't ordered enough of them either.

The other day I had an asthma attack. Not a common occurence fortunately for me. After I was mostly recovered, I popped down to Halfords to get my bike sorted AGAIN! This time while standing at an appropriate distance on the queue markers, I coughed. The reaction of absolutely everyone around me was impressive. To a man they leaned as far as they could without leaving their place in the line.

I fully understand their fears. I wanted to say it was just asthma. I couldn't. I thought the new conventions of behaviour were so funny, I giggled. Then I coughed a little more. I tried not to giggle. Really I did. I wanted to apologise - say I was sorry. I couldn't - it didn't seem right somehow.

These are dangerous times. We must all do our bit to stay safe. When it is all over we won't deal with people in the same way ever again. Perhaps people will cross the road to keep their distance just like they did when you were with me, Marms. Very big, black rotweiller X equals danger, naturally.

I love you. Lots of people love you.. You are a lovely old dog.. don't take these snubs personally. I didn't.

Love

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment