Monday, January 24, 2022

It all turned out rather badly

 Dear Marmite


As you well know the weather over here is not half as nice as the weather you have in Singapore. It is winter. It is damp most of the time and it is cold. However, you don't realise how cold until you end up stuck outside for far too long without adequate clothing. 

Such was the case last Friday. It is an entirely forgettable day and with time I will manage that - particularly when the nightmares cease. I set off through country roads to play tennis. I had the balls for everyone in my car and I didn't have a care in the world. My car hit a pothole or something and the front nearside tyre went down rather quickly. I daren't move it too far so I was stuck on a narrow road just past a bend. 

I can change tyres. I have even pumped gunk in one before to keep it inflated so with a little huffing and puffing I got the necessary stuff out of the boot and read the instructions at least three times before setting about getting the tyre pumped. Plan A was to fix the car, play tennis and then pop to the garage. 

A very nice man stopped and helped me get the gunk container fixed to the wheel. Nothing happened. The tyre remained stubbornly flat. The man fiddled with the valve and then left and I phoned the AA. By this time my fingers were numb and actually dialing a number wasn't straightforward.

The AA told me it was an hour and a half wait. It felt like the man on the other end of the phone was going to fill that time with safety instructions and all the things the AA couldn't do for me.  An hour and a half isn't that bad. I could do that. I got in the car and wrapped the dog blanket round me, felt stoic, held my phone and huddled up. I didn't dare use the phone or turn the car on in case it the battery went flat. I then got a call from the AA to say it would be nearer a four-hour wait. I hit a bit of a despond but still thought I could get through it. Stoicism would prevail!!

I got colder and colder. I put the blanket over my head and breathed into it to warm the air around me up. That helped a little but being a loose-weave cotton bed cover, it wasn't much use. A lady in a blue VW stopped and asked if I was OK. I automatically did what everyone over here does. I said I was fine. I wasn't!.


After two hours I called Nasser and asked if he could get my polar sleeping bag out of my wardrobe and drop it off. He didn't. He did even better. He truly was my knight in shining armour. He picked me up and took me to his place and fed and watered me. What a lovely warm home it is too. Even then I was shivering a little. The AA man called while we were eating to say he would be 20 minutes so the wonderful Nasser got me back to my car - hot coffee in hand in readiness for Mr AA Man.

The lovely lady in the blue VW came past again just at that time and waved a flask of coffee out of the window for me. She had obviously made a special trip to help me. I was quite choked by her kindness. I don't know who she is or where she lives so I'll send a  big THANK YOU here. Aren't people lovely?

So. as planned,  nice AA man gets me to the garage. My car is a Toyota and the garage is Toyota but they didn't have my type of tyre. Another long wait.... I did get my car valeted for free  - small plus. Finally getting home seven hours later I felt I deserved a wine.

Generally I don't drink without company but last Friday I had a rather nice Shiraz with my dinner then watched Anne on ITV - cried my way through the story (Hillsborough) and chatted to a friend now staying in Bulgaria. The whole bottle disappeared...eek. I really don't know how that happened. Note to self. Keep the bottle in the kitchen and not on the table in future. 


Life is much better today. It is a Monday, a new week and CNY is just around the corner. For you, Marms the Lion Dancers will be clanging and a banging. Another thing I miss.. Today, Danielle and I are off in search of a Lo Hei. I have even got a haggis, neeps and tatties for tomorrow and I hope Youtube will provide the pipers!

No comments:

Post a Comment