Monday, December 5, 2022

Brilliant




 Dear Marmite

The things that trigger my ire are increasing exponentially. This could be the product of getting old or not having enough to occupy me. I recently had a phone call to a call centre that needed my details to confirm who I was. Every time the lady at the other end of the phone got a detail right, she'd say, "Brilliant". The conversation was a bit like this, "What's your family name?" ..."Brilliant" and .... "Your house number?"... "Brilliant". How sad her life must be if getting my details right is her pinnacle of brilliance -  DUH! I was so tempted to ask about her exciting life beyond answering the phone but I reckon my life was too short to hear her answer. Brilliant!

There have been other, more interesting things happening though. My Christmas tree is up and bedecked. This year I had Santa's not-so-little helper, Kenan, to decorate it. It looks lovely. He did a really grand job. I expect it will soon get tested by Ezra-Mae to see how sturdy it is.... watch this space.

The temperature is around 5c over here. It is damp and overcast most of the time. Night falls around 4pm - You get the picture, Marms. So when I see pictures of my friends in sunnier places, I feel more than a pang of envy. I admit to having second thoughts about playing tennis when the conditions are less than clement. I definitely need more resolve to get myself moving in the winter.

Added to the conditions outside, the one thing on everyone's mind is the cost of fuel. In the sauna at the pool the other day, a lady was saying how much it cost to boil her kettle. I suggested opening a bottle of wine wouldn't incur the same charges as making a cup of tea. For me, boiling the kettle for coffee is not something I'll be cutting back on.

Saturday was Wolverton's Lantern Festival. For "Lantern Festival" don't imagine the ones in Singapore. This is a whole new ball game. There were giant bugs lit up and they all went for a walk ALL around the town. The central square was buzzing - literally buzzing. Hundreds of people turned out to see the choir, the band, the Carribean band and there was a children's circus group. I joined in juggling with not-so-little persuasion! The big kid inside of me escaped once more. Brilliant!


The downside of my trip to Wolverton was the cycle home. Once more I managed to have a front light that almost died on me as I pedalled back along the pitch black tow path. My thighs were so cold, they were burning and I couldn't push hard as I couldn't see where I was excactly. Silly me - I do this too often.


I haven't forgotten... your birthday is just round the corner. I bet you are getting excited already in the only way you know how! Brilliant!

Love you as always

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment