Friday, December 30, 2022

Twas the Nightmare before Christmas

 Dear Marmite


I am as guilty as the next man. I go shopping for food at the last minute and feel really aggrieved that the supermarket is full of people emptying the shelves of the things I wanted to get but missed out on. Tescos was a nightmare and the stress of getting the few last minute things was not nice in the least. We only do it because it is Christmas but why?

It was worth it in the end though - I hope. The turkey turned out well and I still have enough to last me through to CNY. After the meal, I stripped the meat off the bones and threw them away as I didn't have you to make broth for. Then Shadow and Lucky came to stay and I didn't have anything for them. Silly me!! 

Things have certainly looked up since my supermarket hustle. As is tradition, I listened to Bells of Dublin twice on Christmas morning, then made it to church. I had two big tables all prepared for the dinner and guests galore. We played games... all the usually bits... and now I feel substantially fattened and in need of a strict regimen so I can at least move around the tennis court. All in all, Christmas has been a joy.


Sammi arrived after Christmas but already we have done Canasta, Scrabble, chess and tennis games together. The other night we went out for the BEST pizza ever. I want to advertise this place... lovely ambience, amazing food and beer... a real wow! This was an organic beer and pizza place right next to the canal in Wolverton. It is on an industrial estate and if only the metal fence between the bar and the canal didn't exist, it would be accessible to the towpath and walkers could pop in for a pint. It would be the most popular place in MK, if only.  

While we were eating our pizzas, I lost at chess. If I hadn't had Sammi as my partner, I would have lost at tennis too. We played in cold, damp conditions with a 35mph wind whipping around the court and despite the weather, it was lovely playing with my "little" boy. We did the local pub quiz last night - won that!! The reason we won was because I have amazing quiz friends who know everything... They even put up with three Woolheads on the same team!


Perhaps the biggest joy of all was seeing my cousins from Australia yesterday. Imagine travelling all that way and ending up in a small village and having a drink in the pub. We were so busy chatting that I forgot to get a picture to send to you in my blog... I am sure you remember them, Marms.

Now I have New Year celebrations to look forward to.

Lots of love and Happy New Year 

XXX


No comments:

Post a Comment