Saturday, March 28, 2020

SNAFU

Dear Marmite

Life goes on of sorts over here in a relatively sunny place. I woke up happy this morning knowing that Halfords was open and that I could get my tyre repaired. We got down to the store with a deflated wheel and I waited in a long, queue of three participants well spread out in the car park.

The set up was well thought out. One man stood at the front of the store behind a barrier and served people while other Halfords workers ran around behind the scenes picking things up for the customers. All very efficient. I got a new inner tube fitted and cheerfully returned home eager to get on my bike.






Yesterday and the day before we had walked the country lanes and discovered new bits of the northern edges of Milton Keynes that I previously hadn't even imagined. The Buckingham canal which is currrently just a dry ditch is being restored. Those navvies back in the 1700s must have had a tough job digging miles of waterways without the aid of equipment used today. It was a place I wouldn't have been able to cycle so I didn't mind that excursion for this reason.

What a beautiful place England is in the spring. My only disappointment was that my bike wasn't able to take me further afield. Now I had a fully functioning bike, I could't wait.

And so back to today. My bike complete with new inner tube on the front wheel was fit and ready to go. We set off for Bradwell Abbey and Loughton Park. Unfortunately, the cycle ride turned into a walk with a bike because my front wheel got another puncture! SNAFU, I thought. Bugger - what are the chances of two bike rides and two punctures?

The long walk back was depressing but Halfords were more than happy to do the job a second time. While it was being repaired the shop assistant told me that they had been very busy and that there were lots of people about. He was worried that people weren't following instructions to stay indoors.

However, Tescos have gone one step further with their restrictions. We drove into the carpark and were told only one of us could shop and the queue to get into the shop was a fifteen minutes wait. I hate queuing so we went without the few things we needed.

On the tow paths and country lanes people stand aside to keep a distance. My experience of the lockdown hasn't been too bad. If you were around, Marms, you would be getting lots of fuss because I do have time on my hands. You might also have got lots more walks as well so swings and roundabouts.

The media and people I know back here in the UK applaud the action that Singapore is taking. The British Government lacks resolve and direction by comparison. We could learn so much from a former colony that now leads the world in so many ways. I miss Singapore.

On the upside, I am safe. I have a roof over my head. I have one mostly functioning bathroom and not a workman in sight. There are worse ways to be.

Stay safe and be good.

Sending you especially big hugs.

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment