Sunday, March 22, 2020

The New Norm

Dear Marmite
A very British scone with cream and jam in Oxford

Things are so different now here in the UK. You are in a better place for sure. The big virus that fills people's minds with terror in their waking moments has affected the very essense of their behaviour and not for the better.

Last night I popped down to the local supermarket to buy stuff I needed. The shelves were empty. No bread along the entire double-sided aisle was my first surprise. What topped that was the fact that there wasn't a bottle of tonic to be seen. I realise I am living in an area of high gin consumption. There is no other explanation.

I admit to a moment of panic myself when I found only three bags of high strength ground coffee left on the shelf. I grabbed all three. Naughty me. When I got to the checkout the lady serving me told me I could only have two. I handed one back and apologised. I had promised myself I wouldn't get drawn into hoarding and in my way, I was as bad as the rest.

What happened next shocked me. The lady told me how much abuse she had suffered all day from previous customers. Why are people so rude? At a time like this we should be pulling togther and sharing. I am ashamed to be British if this is an  acceptable norm. What happened to, "Keep calm and carry on"?
Cycling?

Prior to this, my life pottering around has been quite a joy. On Wednesday in a fine, miserable rain/mist I cycled with my friend along the Grand Union Canal from Wolverton to Campbell Park and then back to Wolverton along the cycle paths. It was muddy and inevitably slippy. I noticed that none of the bollards posed a threat - Diane, you would be safe here. The posts are most compliant. If I were not allowed out and instead confined to quarters, I think I would be climbing up the walls.

On Thursday, I popped over to an empty Oxford. The Park and Ride was empty, the streets were deserted, many of the shops were closed and of course none of the museums were operating. What a joy - a town without crowds. There is an upside to this new norm.

I am sure that pangolins are also seeing the positives. We saw one once Marms, when we were walking along the Pang Sua Canal early in the morning. It was all alone and heading back into a jungle that no longer exists. Such a beautiful creature does not deserve the fate the Chinese have dealt it by eating it as a delicacy.

As a dog, I expect you thank your lucky stars you live in Singapore where dogs don't get eaten. The size you are would make you a prime target, perish the thought. You have lived to a ripe old age surrounded by love. Long may it last.

Love you soooo much

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment