Monday, May 4, 2020

May the Fourth be with You!

Dear Marmite


It is Star Wars Day! May the Force be with You! This brings to mind what I did on previous Star Wars Days back when you were all mine and life passed us by at a remarkable pace.

So two years ago at this time, I was definitely in bed in Geneagles hosting a party that only really lacked a corkscrew - Rachel   - friend - helpfully brought along a bottle of wine and wine glasses but failed to remember the crucial missing item. I had just had both my knees done by Dr Chong only a couple of hours before.  He had tidied them up and repaired the dodgy bits inside leaving me with more usable knees and almost microscopic scars.., Wonderful man!

Gleneagles in Singapore is very central and so it was easy for visitors to come along and see me. Perhaps I could count this as one of my first leaving parties although I didn't actually realise it at the time. I think there were probably about 7 of us in one little hospital room plus a bewildered nurse who seemed genuinely worried she couldn't supply a corkscrew.

When I first came round, Diane was there to greet me with black coffee. From that moment life looked rosy. I couldn't complain about the wonderful treatment by the staff or the friends who helped me through what I thought would be a dire time not being able to walk. I remember practicing going up and down stairs on my bottom in case I couldn't do it after the operation. It was fine.

Even Mohd. Noor from Dairy Farm offered me a lift on his dustcart while I was on crutches. And you, Marms, you were a super good boy. Jeremy took you for walks and I lurched alongside on my crutches.

Then last year, I was in Siem Reap. I know this because a picture popped up on my FB page this morning! Last year I travelled round the nether regions of Cambodia and ended up in Siem Reap.

While I was visiting a country that had been devastated by Pol Pot unwanted guests were in my bedroom  devastating it and making a nest out of my underwear. You, Marms probably said, "go ahead - make yourself at home!". No one in the DFE management believed me until a friend set up a spy camera in my house. There we spied at least 10 big rats sniffing around late at night. Even now, it makes me shudder to think about it.

Even that adversity had a comedic side. What, with my special sausgages and my friend, Margy's wild wraps. I can laugh about the spin offs of that time of horror now. I expect you, Marms just remember those happy party times when those 'little dogs' came to visit each night and amused you. For me, when it was happening, I was definitely NOT happy. The only rat I like is Andrea. She is a bronze one that lives in a bathroom a couple of floors below my old place! That is another story!

So today, this is pretty normal. I await the ripping out of my bath. This is the last room that need to be sorted. The plumbing is as much a problem as any aesthetics. The shower mixer runs either hot or cold. When I first got here it was only cold. Cold showers in a cold house  - no wonder I am a tough old bird!

The cistern also overflows so again this is another need-to-do job. The sink was pretty much OK until my grandson, Reef climbed onto it and pulled it out of its moorings. So as you can see, despite the upcoming dust and gubby bits, today is a good day. The end of the renovation is in sight. Even the sun is shining today.
Today... awaiting skip

Today also marks to two-month mark of my having a house guest - not a rat this time, thankfully. This is a direct result of the country lockdown. I have promised him an early release for good behaviour - especially for the nice meals.

I wonder where we will all be this time next year.

Love you loads, Marmite, my old man...

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment