Monday, May 25, 2020

The next best thing to Christmas

Dear Marmite

Eid Mubarak!!


I expect you hold our Christmas' together close to your heart if only for the turkey stock and rice that came in abundance after the big meal. We both missed out on Chirstmas 2019 but yesterday with a blend of cultures - Eid and an early birthday - we managed a much smaller celebration. This involved a dog and plonk.

Instead of turkey we had roast lamb and our replacement for Christmas pud was "grown up banoffee pie" which had rum in. My daughter, Danielle and her boyfriend came over with Shadow.  The bonhomie remained respectfully distanced while the drink flowed reasonably freely. We all played very silly games and of course hats were compulsory accessories for the entire day.

So this was an Eid celebration - English style. The lamb was already dead so no need for sacrifice and luckily the piece of pig accidentally bought last week was nowhere to be seen! There were far fewer sweets than there should have been but there was sheesha in the garden and a sizable shoulder joint for Shadow to chomp on while we puffed away.

Big bottle

For those who have celebrated previous Christmas' with me, I am sad to say we didn't do spoons. Coronavirus is not conducive to this game so that was clearly a  no no. It would be a real clincher if Dominic Cummings were caught playing spoons as well as galavanting all over Britain spreading his germs when everyone else was on lockdown. That man needs shooting - not sacking. He is a disgrace. Marmite, you have my full permission to maul his ankles. Kill!

I went to my friend Mike's funeral in Stevenage last Friday. I felt very unsettled about being only one of ten people allowed to attend and I dreaded it not being a worthy way to say goodbye. Despite the small gathering it was wonderful and so beautifully done. It was also live-streamed for those who couldn't attend. Danielle watched it across town on her phone. Thank God for technology keeping us together.
Good Bye Mike Webster - you always made me laugh!

The funny thing is, everyone says the same thing. "After all this is over we must get together". If only half of the people who have said that to me mean it, I am going to be very busy catching up for a long time to come. Perhaps I should just plan a day in the future and invite everyone all at the same time and we can all get together. Can anyone suggest a good date?

Of course you are invited, Marms - you will be the star of the show, I promise.

Love you soooo much.

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment