Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Colonialism - the Up Side

Dear Marms

I am still in Hanoi and after having a massive meltdown seeing all the motorbikes log-jammed late at night on Christmas Eve, this place is beginning to grow on me.

Admittedly, my experience of this city is restricted to the old part but that is the bit that quite appeals. It is generally recognised that colonialisation in the 1800s was bad - especially for those having foreign rule imposed on them. The legacy in many ways is positive. The old part of the city is quaintly French. The buildings and narrow alleys are so typical of French planning and the cafe society thrives. People sit on the side walks and watch the world go by while sipping especially good coffee. Despite the noise from motorbikes that pootle and parp along these side streets, this area really is endearing.

There are also stark Soviet style buildings like the Post Office that don't look out of place alongside the very old Vietnam culture and the French styles. Without this mixed history Hanoi would not be half as nice.

Colonialism isn't new, the Saxons, the Romans, the Vikings, the Normans et al all left a visible impact on the British Isles. Their legacy makes my country the place it is today and I am sure that no one in Britain would want to erase this mixed heritage. I am sure that one day there will be a revisionist view of colonialism. We will embrace the good bits and learn from the mistakes that were made. After all, our globalised world is just one outcome.

Back to me, Marms. My holiday is becoming a blur of things and days - all so very different from each other. I am supposed to be staying in the Lotus Boutique Hotel. My room had a broken "pip". That pip is still not mended but tonight after two different rooms in two sister hotels, I am going to stay in the place I liked the look of and booked. Moving rooms is one thing. I came down to breakfast this morning and sat down to eat. The waiter realised there was a bit of overcrowding in the restaurant so now I am sitting in my third seat in just one meal. Maybe this is "no fixed abode" style of existence is a Vietmanese nod to its unique culture. On the up side, all the staff have been most apologetic about the mix up so I can only laugh.

One thing that came from Vietmanese culture is the water puppets - slapstick in water at its best with an accompaniment of the most wonderful music played on local instruments. I went last night and am still smiling about it today. Thank You Vietman!

So Christmas is over - no Turkeys were killed for my benefit this year... no blood spilt. I had a four cheese pizza! Cheers.


Hugs all round

Love

A

No comments:

Post a Comment