Tuesday, December 10, 2019

One week and still upbeat, mostly!

Dear Marmite

Yesterday I did the Sky Cab - no dogs allowed! It boasts to have the longest cable between posts and the Sky Walk boasts the biggest span suspension. Both are well worth doing and even the Oriental Village below with eating places galore is well kept with clean toilets. Well done, Langkawi. Well done, Malaysia.



There were funny moments. The queue to buy the tickets snaked back miles, literally miles. Then an indecipherable message blasted from a tannoy and the crowd melted to nothing. Then someone said it is open and I walked forward into an empty space and an almost non-existent line. That never happens to me! It was a net benefit of not understanding the blurting loudspeaker. Apparently the message had said that rides were suspended ((HAHA) due to high winds.


When you get to the top, it is rather spectacular. There are views of the whole island, surrounding islands and misty blue seas. There I was atop a mini-mountain looking down on the world with a few thousand other people - marvellous.

The walk between the Sky Cab and the Sky Walk is advertised a tough. So there was little me with my bad back and dodgy knee up for the challenge. I passed a lady who was effing amazed she had nearly got through the arduous step work at her age( younger than me). I later met her again on the Sky Walk. Now Neeta - the champion of the steps - from London  is off to Singapore. I have told her that Bukit Timah Hill is much nicer all round... lots more steps... lots more sweat... and lots more to do  - and all less than 163m.

Another thing that struck me as funny were the Chinese youths at the foodcourt. They were loud like youths everywhere and having fun. They ordered from the German food stall - run by an Egyptian -  and as soon as there food arrived there was hush. They looked as if they were relishing the whole experience. So here we have Chinese eating German! It seems the whole world has a penchant for food that comes from elsewhere. My father used to like the occasional Chinese in Leighton Buzzard. I told him it was nothing like the real thing but what did I know?

Sadly or not, depending on how you look at it time moves along. I am now on Koh Lipe. I have hit GOLD! It looks stunning. I got up at unearthly o'clock and got a taxi to the Telaga ferry port, Langkawi. I had to be there 90 minutes before departure and just before we got on the ferry all those assembled had to go through the standard passport checks - this took three men standing around and one lady seated with a stamp. The Royal Customs Area had a laminated sign - not even a real one - and I feel the men in particular wanted to make this more official than it really is.

At the other end of the journey, we piled into bum boats which emptied the ferry passengers onto a pristine white beach. That was customs - Thai style. Wow...

I am having second thoughts about my trip... perhaps I might be here for some time... who knows.

You'd love it here. We could swim every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment