Sunday, December 8, 2019

Your Big Day!!

Happy Birthday Marmite

You are officially 13 years old today and for a big dog that is a great age - 91 in human years. Because you were a street dog with no history - just a long list of fears - black plastic dustbin liners - long sticks (broom handles) - loud noises (motorbikes backfiring), I gave you my father's birth date, 9th December. It sort of fitted with the size you were when you came to us. He lived to 78 and died the same day as the Queen Mother back in 2002. You have lived far beyond that - Congratulations.

After drinking a coffee - and spending time thinking of you, I will be getting on the ferry to Langkawi and slowing edging further north. Tickets are sorted and so is accommodation so I don't think there will be any issues for today.

Yesterday, however, turned itself upside down. I planned to do the Hop on -Hop off bus and the man at the front desk of the hotel told me it arrived at 9am. So from 9 am til 10:40 I waited at the bus stop with a number of other people who were all told different things and we waited and waited. Nothing...

So I walked through the shopping centre and caught a bus for 1.40MYR and went into town and walked to my planned places - The Clan fishing area, The Longest Cafe - I found somewhere close to that but I reckon the Longest Cafe in Penang couldn't have been as good. Then I pottered off up to the Botanic Gardens. In my my mind, I had Botanic Gardens, Singapore. In reality, there were a lot of trees, unkempt paths and borders and an Orchid House that was opened in 1952 but by the looks of it, it was closed in 1953 - locked and bolted, through the bars was rubble and weeds. On the upside I did  see the dusky langurs - lots of them and all outside the entrance to the gardens.


By the time I got back to the hotel, I'd seen one Hop on-Hop off bus and there were just two people on it. With a bit more planning and advertising, the bus could have done a roaring trade. I spent far less than I planned to because the bus never arrived in a timely fashion and there were five others who would have added to the tourist revenue but didn't.

My hotel in Penang is the Dubin Art House. Very clean, well positioned with surprisingly good plumbing for Malaysia. Wish you were here to experience it with me.

Have a wonderful birthday.

Love U loads. XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment