Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Not quite completely Buddha-ed

Dear Marms

I got up really early for a whistle-stop tour of the Chang Rai area with Diane and Jeremy and six other people who I didn't know from Adam. It was an interesting day topped by another wonderful meal at the same restuarant we went to the previous night and here I am, putting this letter to you together before bed.  Then we have an even earlier start tomorrow. Tomorrow I enter Laos. This will be the third country on my itinerary.



The tour we did today was significant for the colours we visited; a white temple, a blue one, the Baan Dam ( Black House); and the Golden Triangle. The other places weren't actually named by colours so I'll tell you about a few of them later.

The Black House has to stand out as the wierdest thing on the menu. It was a museum to the memory of a great Thai painter, Thawan Duchanee. In the grounds of this museum are about forty different buildings containing dead bits of animals. An example of which was a 3 metre snake. It was spread along a dining table. People had almost completely covered it with coins and stuffed bills in its mouth making the spectre even more macabre. Diane asked why people did this and our guide told us it was to bring luck - Personally I don't think it was lucky for the snake in any way, shape or form.

Besides the snake, there must have been horns from hundreds of cattle, and skulls from all sorts of creatures. The artist  had portrayed himself as a deity in a number of forms which added to the oddity. I found myself concerned for the welfare of the stray dogs in the grounds. Who knows, they could be tomorrow's exhibits. It is not for me to say but I can't see it as being art. Even the strays looked mangy - not the sort you'd care to mix with.

The Opium Museum at the Golden Triangle was fairly interesting. Now I know how to make opium from poppies so with a few seeds and a plant pot I see myself with a lucrative career ahead of me. This is a useful transfer of skills from the Green Team!

A visit to the  Karen and Akha hill tribes people was also on the tour. I personally don't like this sort of voyeurism where you intrude into people's lives. It was actually just a market where you could see crafts being done and those items were up for sale. Alongside those genuine bits was the usual tat from China and there were so many unanswered questions. What langauge is their main one? Are they being forced to assimilate to Thai life? What does their future hold? This visit could have been so much more and so much better for the tribes people themselves. I think there is a big lack of aforethought to this part of the tourist industry.

I just think that if this was the other way round and people were invited to gawp at me sitting on my sofa, drinking coffee and taking photos or maybe selfies in my house it would be really odd behaviour. Yet we do it to other peoples of this world - what's the difference?

So with all this and different coloured temples filled with Buddhas plus the odd ninja turtle, the day was filled. There was a good balance of things and we didn't feel rushed. I could imagine you liking a trip in a minibus like that. Even the weather was moderate and not too hot.

Wish you were here.. Love you loads... Still!

No comments:

Post a Comment