Wednesday, December 4, 2019

It's all rather Touch n Go

Dear Marms,

I have made it. I am with Jeff in JB. I know you have never been there even though it is just a short hop over the causeway to a different country. You do know Jeff because he ocassionally came with us on those long walks - even in the rain. To you Jeff meant long walkies YAY!

As I look out of Jeff's window 24 storeys up in the air, Singapore looks dark and gloomy. Bukit Timah hill stands above the rest of the Singapore and now morning has broken it stands there a mere molehill above its surroundings. Through the gloom it is still visible - just. Bukit Timah Hill is an important landmark to me - it is right next door to my home and it is where my journey started.

So why is Malaysia "Touch n Go", you may ask. Well, this is the aptly named semi-automated road payment system that gets cars through the toll gates and lets you in and out of carparks. Idiomatically, the phrases means there is a small chance of success or survival so is this a metaphor for Malaysia - truly Asia? I wonder.

For once, when I came through customs on the Malaysia side there were sufficient customs officers on duty and the queuing was bearable. Often, I'd choose the shortest line and wait the longest as every other queue around me shrank. Clearly the Gods were on my side this time as I stepped into the first country of my trip home.

Having been pickpocketed in JB I have firsthand experience of how much different it is from Singapore. My first step is also a step back in time to a far less sophisticated country with odd processes. A trip with Jeff to the top floor of Double Tree Hilton for a cocktail or two was nicely on par with Singapore though and despite the construction, the pool area where we had the cocktails was very pleasant indeed. In fact it seemed to get more pleasant with each sip.

So now to this morning... Larkin awaits and the next leg of my trip begins..

The distance between us will get bigger each and every day..

Byeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment