Monday, December 2, 2019

The Day the Wheels Came Off

Dear Marms


You probably haven't heard this expression. It is a metaphor for everything going wrong. Actually nothing did go wrong. The suitcase that is going to the UK courtesy of Mark (Thank you, Mark) was been in my neighbour's house for a few weeks now and when I moved it, the rubber tyres on the wheels just dropped off.

I hope this is not a foreboding for future travels. I have less than a day left in Singapore now and the clock is ticking very fast indeed. I promise to still write to you even though I will be on my travels.

Do you know my journey actually started way back in March this year? As with most things in my life, it started with a cup of coffee. Moe, who is now in Darwin, suggested I need to move my life along and not wait for you to pop your clogs. This had been my original plan, you knew that.  I know you are a really healthy old man and that you probably have a few years left in you, especially as you have no stress in your life. What Mo said made sense. I am not getting any younger either.

This is why you are now happily living with Rita and being treated like royalty - in a way that you were never treated by me, I know. In that way, you have really landed on your paws. As I say, you make your luck and the way everyone loves you is your way of getting the very best treatment from everyone. Luck surrounds you.

Having found a home for you, I sold my apartment - that was less emotional than giving you away. Then I resigned from work. So here I am, just under a day from leaving Singapore - the place where I have lived for over 23 years.

At the moment this is all a little surreal. Melanie, sitting opposite me at the table has just written a last bit in my "leaving" book and I am about to take a trip with my bags. Yet more last lasts...

What more can I say? I sincerely hope the wheels don't come off!!

Love U.

No comments:

Post a Comment