Monday, January 6, 2020

International co-operation on a grand scale

https://www.facebook.com/freesofiatour
Dear Marmite

Conditions are now well sub-zero. I woke up this morning, checked my phone and it was -4c. In these conditions it is so tempting to roll over and stay tucked up in bed. Just be thankful that the weather doesn't get quite that cold in Singapore, Marms.
Soviet style art at the cinema

So yesterday in very similar conditions I joined the Sofia Alternative Tour.  This meant a lot of walking. It is so alternative, it is not a guided tour. It is a treasure hunt. As you know me of old, I love things like this. They spark the child in me. I promise I was very restrained. I tried to bury my uber competitive streak and go with the flow, honest. There were five of us - little old me and the rest the age of my children or younger. Between us, we found all the clues. Did all the tasks and got back first to the warmth of the Gifted Shop where it was all planned from.

There were no problems at all. Being the only one pre-google, I felt I had an advantage map reading. The two guys from Macedonia could read Cyrillic script and everyone contributed to finding the clues. We really were a team.  All this in freezing conditions. Even the offer of some weed from a local was all part of the experience.
The team

On our travels, when searching for sonething else, I found the church of St.Cyril. I am not sure what he was sanctified for and I didn't have a chance to go in. Just maybe there were racquets and balls represented in the artwork. Now I will never know.
The church of St. Cyril

So now I am much better informed on the history of this city and  I know why there are some tumble-down buildings along the way. I am off to Bucharest this evening so farewell, lovely city. Cold as you are, I'd like to return some day.
The street where I stayed. The reason why it is William Gladstone Street

To you Marmite, be good, be blessed you are in a warm place.

Miss you loads.

Love

XXX



No comments:

Post a Comment