Friday, January 31, 2020

The Eagle has Landed

Dear Marmite

My first whole day in old Blighty was one where I rolled with the punches and came through smiling. Originally I was so looking forward to rounding the circle by having a couple of cocktails in London with a friend before heading back to Milton Keynes. Plans changed so I set off for a walk through Hyde Park at about 8am. The sun was shining and the grass glistened with diamonds. I had an extra spring in my step. I really felt like I was home. Hello England!

Hyde Park- first stop UK

So off to Marks and Sparks for Breakfast! This was a new era so I ordered a breakfast to remember... Unfortunately, the major ingredients of avocado and sough dough bread weren't available so I just had to make do. Another plan gone awry.

I told the cashier he had disappointed me. His reply - I know. I disappoint lots of people. That is what I do. I also have abandonment issues.  - I am sure that conversations like these only happen in Britain. How do foreigners cope understanding the British?

On a very big plus side, I have got a British number (available if you PM me, Marms) and I have ordered internet for the house! All this done at the Marble Arch end of Oxford Street. Life is clearly shining on me. Settling back in England is going to be easy.

I caught the train to MK from Euston. First stop Milton Keynes - another thing accomplished.  I got quite excited as we whizzed past Leighton Buzzard. I was heading in the right direction and at Milton Keynes the man from the dealership who is sorting out my car for me, picked me up. The sun was shining. My ducks were lining up.

My first blow was trying to organise the insurance. Having been out of the country for so long no one wants to help you because you don't exist on databases. Then I found out my driver's licence had expired - errrr. Worst was yet to come. The finance people won't finance my car. I am a risk obviously. I thought my Singapore dollars would get me accepted into this society but I am to be an outcast. This bit still hasn't been sorted.

At least in the long conversation with the insurance lady who gave the patter at the speed of a TGV, and when I stopped her, she lost her thread and had to retell me again, admitted she worked to a script. I think the plonkers at the finance company have a script but lost the plot! Perhaps they are performing monkeys working for peanuts, who knows?

I couldn't sleep at my little house. The boiler had broken. So I was offered a barn to sleep in. A barn with lots of potential which was really very warm. I had forgotten my charger so by the morning I was almost out of charge. I walked down the muddy lane to the centre of Newport Pagnall to buy a lead and bumped into an old friend.
The Barn

Now, after spending the first night in my little place with warmth I can see a rosy future. I have a week to wait for my shipment and a fortnight to wait for the internet but things are moving forward.

So many parts of my journey would have been so difficult if it wasn't for the kindness of people. I woke up smiling this morning and achieved what I set out to do. I bought a vase from a charity shop for some lovely flowers I had been given. Some shitty things do happen but I do think the world is smiling on me.

My temporary sofa cum suitcase

So Marmite, despite aiming for MK and missing. I ended up in Neport Pagnall for just one night. Even though I didn't get to have the cocktails, I had a lovely glass of red in a very nice Turkish restaurant. Things are looking rosy.

I'll write to you again, I promise.

Hugs all round

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment