Wednesday, January 15, 2020

So so quiet

Dear Marmite,

I think I might the only tourist here in Split. Lots of shops are closed and it seems that it is locals who sit outside with their coffees and watch the world go by. To me, Split looks like the ideal escape from the rat race. Nobody is in a hurry to do anything.

There are lots of dogs around. None of them seem in any particular hurry either. You would fit in well. The winter sun lights up the buildings and people smile. I've yet to find something not to like.

Yesterday I booked my onward trip by ferry to Ancona for fear I might not want to leave. Now I have done that, today I will spend some time planning the next bit from there. So far it all seems to have fitted together nicely. I see this as the last leg of my journey and the end is in sight.

I am staying in the old part of town and once again there is evidence the Romans got here first. The narrow alleys squeezed into the old Roman part are part of the Turkish influence. I know this place was badly bombarded in the 90s but there doesn't seem to be any noticable scars.

I went looking for a place to have a massage - closed till March - even I can't wait that long.

Wishing you were here

Love

A

1 comment: