Thursday, January 16, 2020

Little Gems

Dear Marmite

When you have been in the same place for a few days you start to notice little things that weren't obvious before. For starters I have been trying to read the Croatian script. I now know that "voda" is water for example and probably wise not to muddle this up with vodka even though the words are rather similar. On the same theme, I bet you can guess what "liker" is? ( Don't pronounce it the English way - imagine 2 Ks). Yes, I am getting to grips with the important words!
A lovely gem- my morning view

On the food front, I tried a spinach pastry that is served like a slice of pizza with a lid on.  It is street food and moreover, it is yummy. This type of food is called "soparnik" should you ever need to order one. The annoying thing is, some places sell wonderful food and others do the very best coffee. The trouble is getting a place that does both.
The man with a shiny toe




Probably in season this isn't a problem but for me, here and now, I can't seem to find a onestop place. There are other niggles because I am here out of season. I started off at the art museum yesterday. Once I had been let in, I loved the primitive sculptures, not sure about some of the paintings though. But then, as it is a provincial museum, on those grounds it is pretty good. The trouble is it was closed when I got there. I had to hang around for it to open so that meant an extra cup of coffee.

With other museums I wasn't so lucky. They were closed even though the signs said they should be open. I am on a mission to see if I can break down the doors today! This might also be the case for finding a laundrette. They also appear to have closed shop until March. My clothes won't wait that long.

I had been thinking how wonderful all the little shops in the alleys were. No big names like H&M or Guess to be seen anywhere. I was wrong. Behind the old town in a relatively discreet bus station were two modest shopping malls. That is where the international big name shops lurk. The nice thing is that you actually have to find them and they are not dominating the high street.

I'm off for walkies pretty soon. How I wish you could join me.

Love

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment