Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Little Quirks and Niceties

Dear Marmite

I am on English soil. After being homeless since November 14th and being on the road since December 4th, I am almost home at last. My journey started when I walked out of Dairy Farm Estate, said good bye to Melanie at the bus stop and hopped on a 170. The first international crossing cost me just over S$1. My last, on Eurostar, considerably more and was so different in so many ways.


My  Eurostar ticket had a coach number and a seat number. I needn't have worried this time as there were lots of people around to help you board. A Richard Ayoade look-alike pointed me to the right carriage and without any fuss, pushing or stress I got on board and found my seat. So easy!

The trip was smooth and at one point I thought I had actually missed the chunnel bit. I didn't. The underground part is just over 50km and we travelled at 334.7km an hour (this is what the screen said). The only noticable thing was my ears popped. We emerged on the other side and smoothly drifted through the Kent countryside to St Pancras. Again, the disembarkation was very smooth and I hardly noticed going through a customs' check. I wonder how this bit will change. I noticed the signs at passport control in Paris said EU citizens and UK nationals. So there are already little changes in place.

I got on the tube to Queensway  - not the Singapore one! What was really funny was the sound of a lion dance at the station entrance  reaching my ears when I passed through the barriers. The heavy drumming bolstered me. Wow - it felt good. Just like home (Singapore) , I thought. Actually, it was Hyde Park.

In my mind, this will be a little problem. I actually still think of Singapore as home. I actively look for things that remind me of my past life. I wonder how long that will go on for. It might take a time to erase nearly 24 years of living in another land. I thought my little jaunt would push Singapore to the recesses of my mind.

I googled my hotel and walked straight past it. It is the largest I have stayed in in all my trip and I didn't notice the neon sign and well-lit frontage. Doing things like that make me feel daft. When I looked back and saw it glowing in the darkness, I laughed aloud. Silly me.

For the trip, I have mostly stuck to my resolve. I have bought very little and my bag must be lighter than when I started out. The one thing I would do differently is pack for the trip and not for all the contigencies I thought I might face. I have travelled through a whole year of seasons and needed a variety of clothing and numerous currencies. I have thrown away clothes that didn't survive tumble driers and used small measures of shampoos all of which will have helped to lighten my load. Ironically, the soap powder from the laundry fiasco in Lyon has given me a rash of my back. I have no other explanation.

All along the way, I have thought of you, Marmite, and how you would have enjoyed the experience with me. I am sure you would have rolled with the punches, squeezed in corners of coaches and trains and made yourself loved by all who came across you.

We could have shared so much.
If only!

Love you

XXX

2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed your blog,Andrea.
    Hope you have a smooth next chapter. I admire your sense of adventure. Was going to says guts but maybe that's a bit vulgar

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me sad. There will always be a part of you left behind in Singapore. I don't think that ever goes away. Welcome back to blighty!

    ReplyDelete