Sunday, November 3, 2019

I like to ride my bicycle, I like to ride it where I like...

Hi Marms,
Remember how bikes brought on those nervous twitches and how you tried to hide behind my legs everytime a cyclist went past. Then, I got a bike which I hung up just outside the front door and that certainly wasn't much to your liking to start with either. You gave it a wide berth each time you stepped out of the house.

Slowly you got round to accepting it though and I am pleased about that. I have to tell you the joy it has brought me over the last eighteen months. Singapore says it is a bike friendly city... this is not true. The majority of  drivers  are far too impatient and unaware of cyclists for Singapore to claim that.  I have been knocked off twice now -  the first time, I broke a bone in my leg as a result of being hit by a van.

Despite this, I still love cycling. Sunday mornings are my favourite time, especially. I commute to work alongside the weekend lycra clad brigade on their finely-tuned racers. These Singaporean cyclists are friendly - and this is something I will really miss when I set off on my travels in just one month now.

Today is a Sunday and it was going to be my last ever Sunday commuting to work. Unflortunately, last night I blew the back tyre when I hit a bump while cycling at top speed over a sleeping policeman. My bike is now at a friend's place, the back wheel is under my desk at work and I am using public transport.. If only I hadn't been so keen to see the Rugby finals...

Anyway, not all doom and gloom, the wheel is fixed thanks to my favourite shop in Cuscaden Road - Treknology  - and I shall once again head up to the British Club tomorrow morning for tennis training on my bright red bike with go-faster stripes. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Finally found your blog and delighted to get mention as temporary bike home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally found your blog and delighted to get mention as temporary bike home

    ReplyDelete